Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Stop, Look and Listen

I remember back in Kindergarten (yes, I can clearly remember...I mean, it was only a few years ago) being taught about crossing the street.  There were three things the teacher instructed the class to do:  STOP, LOOK, LISTENStop at the curb; look both ways to make sure no cars are in sight; listen for horns blowing.  We were told that following these three simple steps would avoid the catastrophic possibility of being hit by a car as we cross the street.  Well, I guess my Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Wilson, was right because I have followed those instructions well over 20 years and I've never been hit by a car.

My Kindergarten lesson got me to thinking about things from a spiritual perspective.  As Christians, we need to learn to stop, look and listen in our daily walk with Christ.  

Many of us are so busy running through life that we constantly find ourselves hit by hardship after hardship.  Then we have the nerve to get upset with God asking why are you doing this to me?  We must understand that not all troubling situations in our lives come from God.  Sometimes, they are a direct result of bad choices we've made as a consequence of failing to seek God for direction and clarity.  Sad to say, but we are often the cause of a lot of our own discomfort. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I have been so guilty of doing things on my own accord only to later discover that if I had taken the time to stop what I was doing, look to God for direction and listen for His spirit to lead me, I would not have been in such a mess.  Hindsight is 20/20, isn't it?!

Proverbs 3:6 tells us to ackowledge God in all of our ways so that He can direct us.  But so many of us don't think about this until after the fact.  I wonder how much heartache we'd avoid if we'd just go to God first?! We are just bolting out into traffic without taking time to seek out the potential hazard it could possibly cause.

Today, I want to encourage you to stop, look and listen.  Stop what you're doing; look to God for direction and clarity; and listen for His spirit to lead you.  I firmly believe that if you follow these simple steps, you'll find that things will begin to work out a little better in your life.

Til we meet again...

Live more...worry less...laugh often!

Your sister in Christ,
Keisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. Peace and Blessings to you!