Friday, May 13, 2011

It's the Little Things

Tomorrow's my birthday! Yaaay!! I'm really excited, although I don't plan to do much of anything.  I don't have a birthday list; neither am I expecting a lavish celebration.  I'm just looking forward to spending some alone time with my husband Jeremy, who has been working like crazy for the past few weeks.

My son, Joey, asked me last night, "Ma, what do you want for your birthday?"

I replied, "Nothing."

He looked at me like I was crazy, and said, "Everybody wants something for their birthday." But that's because he always has quite the extensive list when his big day rolls around.

I told him, "Well not mommy.  I'm happy just spending it with you guys."

It's the simple things in life that really make me happy.  Sure, it's nice to get gifts...especially diamonds (LOL!)...but in essence, that's not where real happiness lies. At least not for me.

Well, wait a minute.  There is one thing that would make me the happiest woman in the world...cheesecake with strawberry topping! Yummy!!

But really, quality time with the man I love most (And some cheesecake!) is the best gift I could ask for for my special day.  It's the little things...

I used to base my happiness upon how much money I had, what type of car I drove, how many friends I had...but then I realized that once I didn't have an abundance of those things, my happiness went right out of the window.  And once I matured both naturally and spiritually, I learned that there's no greater joy than that that is found in Christ, and the simple things that many people take for granted...family, life, health.

This week-end I encourage you to not focus on the material things in your life that bring external, temporary happiness, but rather take a close look at those things that should really matter most to you...your husband; your children; your life; your health.  Spend some time giving thanks for the things that are often deemed simple, but are really most important.

Til we meet again...live, laugh, love!

Peace & Blessings,
Keisha

2 comments:

  1. Love it Keisha! BTW, Happy Birthday!!!

    You're so right. Thanks for the reminder that it is the little things that matter most. Also, seriously, I LOVE cheesecake with strawberry topping! YUM! Really, it's my all time favorite dessert! ;-) I hope your hubby finds you a nice piece...or two! haha!

    Hugs! Have a fabulous birthday with your family!

    Love,
    Kennisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been visiting your blog for about 2 months now. I "stumbled" upon it when I googled for a Christian magazine targeted to Black Christian women. EEW Magazine came up and as I browsed through, I saw one of your articles. I have been coming back to EEW and your blog every since! Your articles and blogs are filled with such honesty and they really encourage me. I know they come from your heart and are Spirit led. For the last several months, the Lord has been taking me on a journey (that I didn't realize at first) to show me what He wants me to do through writing. He has used your blog and EEW to encourage me to take a step of faith and move into what He has put in my heart through writing. For me, writing this comment is a first step. I thank God for His wonderful promptings. I look forward to your next post and article in EEW.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. Peace and Blessings to you!