Friday, June 18, 2010

When Duty Calls

Recently, after reaching the 10 years out of high school mark, I was reflecting over my senior year. I was thinking about how although I had dreamed of going to college to study Psychology, I had this bright idea to join the military...the Marines to be exact. *I'm chuckling to myself just thinking about this.* Now mind you, I'm the girl who opted for JROTC just so I wouldn't have to take physical education. How in the world did I come up with that million dollar idea?! Anyway, I went all the way through the process...even the swearing in process. Then, all of a sudden it hit me like a ton of bricks...what if one day duty calls me to go to war? My recruiting officer told me, "when duty calls, you answer." Uhh, I don't think I'm cut out for this, is what I began to think. Even though there was no war going on at the time, the thought of having to go if one occured scared the living daylight outta me. Long story short, due to severe migraines I was medically discharged and never went through with my career as a Marine. I don't know what I was thinking...

Being in the military you never know when the call to duty may come.  When it does, you have to answer because once you swear-in, you belong to Uncle Sam and when he says jump...well you know the rest. Though some are enthused about the call to duty, there are some who struggle with answering the call. When a soldier refuses to answer the call, serious repercussions follow. The good thing about the military though, is that they train and equip you for whatever task they place before you.

This is much like many of us in our spiritual walk with Christ.  Once we "swear in" and accept Him as our Lord and Savior, we belong to Him. He has a plan and purpose for each of us and at any given time, He will impress upon our hearts that it's time to walk in purpose...this is our spritual call to duty.  Accepting the call often pushes you out of your comfort zone, and for some that is a scary thing.  Though God trains and equips us through tests and trials, we often struggle with accepting the call. But just like you can't run from Uncle Sam, you can't run from God because He will find you.

It's always much easier to willingly obey God, because one thing you don't want is for Him to put you in a position where you have no other choice but to say Yes Lord.  If we are soldiers in God's army that means sooner or later, duty is going to call. When God calls you, all He wants you to do is answer and follow where ever He leads you. Where ever He sends you, whether it's into preaching, teaching, evangelizing, writing, mentoring, singing...you can rest assured that He's got you covered.

God is looking for soliders who don't mind answering His call to purpose.  Can He trust you to answer when duty calls or will you go AWOL? When duty calls, answer.

Til we meet again...

Live more...worry less...laugh often!!

Your sister in Christ,
Keisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. Peace and Blessings to you!