Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sin Is A Choice

The moving process is finally over! I unpacked our last few boxes yesterday, and breathed a huge sigh of relief.  Now we're all settled in, and things are beginning to regulate again.  Thank God!!

On to today's post.

Yesterday, I read a story online about someone in ministry who slipped in sin and had to give a public apology to her supporters and those who look up to her, in hopes that her mistake won't lead them astray.  As I read some of the comments that followed the article, it all made me feel some kind of way.

The story I read is that of Sunday Best winner Le'Andria Johnson, who announced to a crowd in Philadelphia that she is pregnant.   Alot of the commenters were applauding her for being real, and talked about how people shouldn't judge her because "we all fall down, but we can get back up."

*Sigh*

I'm going to be honest.  I was disappointed after reading this.  Although my intent is not to condemn her, or anyone in her situation - I was an unwed mother when I had my first son - but, at some point we, as mature believers and followers of Christ, have to stop using we fall down, but get back up, and saying we slipped when our secret sins are uncovered.  Yes, we fall, but we don't have to...God is able to keep us from falling. (Jude 1:24)

When Jesus died on the cross, He freed us from being slaves to sin.  And just because we now live under grace, and we know that God is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins, does not give us a pass to continue in sin once we profess to live Christian lives.  Romans 6:1-2 says this, "Well then, should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of his wonderful grace?  Of course not! Since we have died to sin, how can we continue to live in it?"

Since we are no longer slaves to sin, that now means that sin, like everything else we do in everyday life, is a choice.  Sure, we may be tempted, but even in temptation, we don't have to sin.  Jesus was tempted, but He chose not to fall into its trap.

I think what it comes down to, for me, is that the life you profess to live publicly, should be the same life you live privately.  

I'm going to get off my soapbox, but I pray that the body of Christ will begin to live the life we preach and sing about, not only in eyes of others, but in the eyes of the Lord who sees all things, and knows the true intent of our heart.

Yes, our God is rich in mercy, grace, forgiveness, compassion, and love, but let's not blatantly crucify our Savior afresh by falling continuously in sin.  Let us all be slaves to righteous living. (Romans 6:18)

Recommended Reading: Romans 6 

~May you live in His love.~ 



1 comment:

  1. You know, I love Ms. Johnson's voice and I still support her and believe in her love and affection for Christ, but I too feel "some kind of way." I guess I feel disappointment.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. Peace and Blessings to you!