Tuesday, February 15, 2011

All We Have Is Now

On my way to take my son to school this morning, I ran into a traffic jam.  Cars were backed up for about two miles, and moved at a snail's pace.  Like a lot of people, I grew frustrated because I was being thrown off schedule.  In my impatience, I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel, and let out a few big sighs as a sign of my growing irritation. 

As I slowly edged along through the traffic, I finally discovered the reason behind the backup.  There had been an accident.  When I looked to my left and saw a car flipped upside down, my countenance instantly changed.  I immediately began to pray for whomever was trapped inside. It looked horrible, and I'm not sure if anyone made it out alive.

In that moment I began to praise God, because I realized that that could have easily been me.  This morning could have very well been my moment to leave this earth, or encounter a situation that could take my life. I bet the person(s) inside that car had no idea that they'd be in that situation this morning.  I'm sure they had plans for the day, for the week, for the month, for the year...but all of those plans came to a screeching halt all in an instant.

We never know what a day may hold.  When we leave our homes in the morning, we expect to return the same way we left.  We expect to be able to do it all again tomorrow.  But guess what?  Tomorrow is promised to no one.  Today could be our last opportunity.

So many of us take today for granted, me included.  But when you think about it, this present moment is really all we have.  I believe that it behooves us all to make the most of each moment, because it can all be gone in an instant.  You never know.

I've always heard the phrase, Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today.  And it is so true.  Let's not wait until tomorrow to mend broken relationships; let's not wait until tomorrow to say I'm sorry or I forgive you; let's not wait until tomorrow to get in right standing with Christ...

All we have is now.

My intent is not to suggest that today is anyone's last day.  I simply want to convey the message that time is not on our side.  The only time we are guaranteed is this very moment.  This is not to cause anyone to live in fear; this is simply an encouragement to make the absolute best of each moment, of each day.

The reason behind this morning's traffic jam encouraged me to give my all to every moment God allows me to have. Today is a gift.

Til we meet again...live, laugh, love!

Peace & Blessings,
Keisha

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. Peace and Blessings to you!