Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Be True To You

I quit.

I give up.

I'm over caring.

I'm done with trying.

No longer will I put effort into fitting into another's mold of who they think I should be; how they think I should dress; the way they think I should raise my children; the kind of wife they believe I should be; the career they think I should have. I'm done.

I love me, I like me, and I rock just the way I am.  If  you can't accept me for who I am, then good riddance.

That's the stance we should take when we find ourselves constantly falling prey to other people's opinion of us.  I bet y'all thought I was going off on somebody! *SMH at messy saints* LOL!!

Over the years, I have spent my fair share of time conforming to what others have thought of me.  Because I wanted to fit in and be accepted, I had no problems altering my hair, clothes, or personality.  My lack of confidence in the fearfully and wonderfully made individual God created me to be caused me to become totally lost and confused when it came to knowing my true self.  I can't tell you how many times I marched around that mountain.

Those marching boots have become a bit worn, and the stilettos I now rock ain't made for marching. Those days are over.

I'm so thankful that as I've built a closer relationship with the Lord, He has shown me my true identity.  He has allowed me to see the beautifully crafted woman He destined me to be, and I absolutely love her. I'm not perfect, but God's perfect love covers me.

It used to break my little heart when people would shun me because they thought I was stuck up, mean, and unfriendly simply because I'm an introvert.  So I'd alter myself and go the extra mile to try to prove that I wasn't any of those things.  But that's just too exhausting. I'd rather just be me...quiet, goofy, dorky, silly, girly me.  I've learned that if you have to alter yourself just to gain the approval or acceptance of others, the moment you stray away from what they want you to be, they leave you hanging.  Who wants relationships built on false pretenses? 

If people can't accept you for who you truly are, the fearfully-and-wonderfully-made-beautifully-crafted-you, then they don't deserve to be a part of your life.  And that's not being mean; that's just being true to who you are. I've accepted that fact that some people simply don't get me, and that's quite alright, because the Lord will surround me with those who do.  I'm much happier being true to who I am.

You will go absolutely insane trying to please people whose tolerance, or acceptance, of you will only be temporal.  It's not worth the headache.

Forget about what people think of you and who they want you to be, and set your thoughts on what God knows about you and who He destined you to be long before you were ever formed in your mothers womb.

Know that you are amazing just the way you are.  And if you're going to alter yourself to please anybody, do it for the Lord.  At the end of the day, it's pleasing Him that matters most.

1 comment:

  1. I almost thought you were reading my mind... This was a wonderful reminder of who I am in Christ! Thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. Peace and Blessings to you!